Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Lately in Theater: Part 2

So let me tell you a bit more about this thesis project of mine. Yesterday I talked about in general the jobs I do in the theater. Today I'll focus on designing the set.

The play we are doing is a modern (ish) version of Cyrano de Bergerac. The text has been shortened and simplified so it is more accessible for middle/high school aged children. 

Our amazing director James Edmondson wanted this production to go back and forth reminding you this is a theatrical performance, but then getting lost in the story and swept away with the "magic of theater". To accomplish this I looked into old theater techniques and classic "backstage" appearances.


 I also thought a lot about the balance of time periods. The time the play was written, the time it was set, and the current time. I pulled elements from all three. 


Another key design element came from being carried away by one's imagination. I thought about how to create a canvas for the imagination to portray this story.

In the end I fell in love with the idea of using various sized stage flats to create the set. Usually we build a set out of stage flats, but try to make them appear to be something else.


I was very inspired by french design, using lots of blue tones and damask wallpaper patterns. 

How did it all turn out? You'll have to wait to find out...

love,
La Mer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so looking forward to seeing the finished product!!