Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

bus back story.

Hey all, as promised, here is a little more of the story about my new and lovely bus.

Thats the bus!

A few months back I heard about a bus that belonged to a friend of my dad's. He had been taking the bus to Burning Man for a while and was talking about new ideas for turning it into an art car. It sounded like a fun project to get in on, but when I decided I was serious about converting my bus this summer so I could start living in it full time in fall, I figured I shouldn't get involved in a second bus project.

Fast forward a few months and I find out the bus owner is considering getting rid of his bus. A bit later I also find out that he doesn't want to sell the bus, he wants to gift it.

Side information. If you don't know about Burning Man, then go read about it because it is amazing. I was lucky enough to go last year with my dad and while we've had a bit of a hiccup this year, we're determined to go back next year as well. One misconception about Burning Man is that it is a barter economy. While it is true that no money is used beyond buying tickets, ice and coffee, bartering is not the way to describe the economy- its gifting. All things including food, drink and services are given. You might think this system would be taken advantage of, but that is where another big aspect of Burning Man comes in- mandatory participation. Unlike other festivals one (theoretically) can not come to Burning Man and not participate in the community. 

Okay, enough side information. This past weekend I went up to Oregon to visit my family and also got to sit down with the bus's owner to work out some details! Currently the bus is located in eastern Oregon, so I wasn't able to see it this past weekend, but things are all sorted out so it can make it's way down to the bay area soon. The plan at the moment is for my dad to go out and fetch it in a few weeks and soon after that do a little road trip and bring it down to me!

1 comment:

Chanie said...

I can't wait to see it! How much home-ifying have they done already?